Welcome to Sonemic
What is the Sonemic Project?
Sonemic is a project to update and improve Rate Your Music, one of the largest and most comprehensive music databases and communities online. It was originally planned as a separate site, but in November 2020 we decided to upgrade Rate Your Music itself, one feature at a time, so that our users could immediately benefit from each new feature as it was completed. That work is currently in progress; many features are completed and available today. When the remaining features are finished and launched, RYM will essentially be Sonemic and the project will be complete. Following the completion of the Sonemic project, we plan to continually improve the site further by adding new features and APIs.
- Sonemic charts are now part of Rate Your Music. We've added 50+ features/fixes, allowing you to filter by descriptor (mood, theme, lyrical content, form, etc), subgenres, language, create "diverse" charts (no artist appears more than once), make charts by record label, access daily charts, save and bookmark charts, fine-tune the inclusion of live, archival and soundtrack releases, adjust popularity weighting and much more!
- Redesigned recommendations - a vastly improved recommendation system which provides 100 recommendations, along with 100 "challenge" recommendations of items that are loved by the community but completely different than your normal tastes, to help you get out of your musical comfort zone.
Additionally, we've added filters to fine-tune recommendations, added affinity lists of to display the years, genres and descriptors of music you enjoy, and added the ability to generate Spotify playlists based on recommendations.
- New genre browsing and genre pages with sorting, top charts, chart of years active (with the ability to compare to other genres) and related user lists.
- New label pages with sorting, label charts, chart of years active and related user lists.
- New community page and message boards, including a mobile-friendly design and new section for featured content.
- Redesigned compatibility lists with an updated design. Further improvements beyond the Sonemic goals are planned as well.
- A "New Music" page that incorporates the old "upcoming" section and provides new customization options.
- New design - much of rateyourmusic.com has already been updated to be more modern and mobile-friendly.
- New subscription features. - thus far we've added age filters for charts, more results in recommendations and charts, page sponsorships, an exclusive message board, new themes, fine-tuning of recommendations, expanded affinities for recommendations, comparison of timelines on genre pages, an improved "suggestions" feature for album pages. Much more is planned!
- New community options: follower/following, ability to block users are available today. Profile privacy options are planned.
- Improvements to classical music support: We've improved the display of composers on chart, genre and label pages. We plan to add a full "credited composer" and "filed under composers" to simplify the editing of these releases.
- A new, more accurate and faster search engine that provides suggestions as you type and that produces instant and more relevant results.
- Song-related features including: "top tracks" on artist pages, genre voting for tracks, song charts, and some surprise features.
- A new cataloging system for much-improved filtering, sorting, searching, editing and cataloging of your collections.
- A brand new, completely redesigned lists feature with easier editing and tons of new features.
- New messaging system with real-time chat and notifications.
- New, cleaner and faster way to manage your profile and site settings.
- New profile pages with more customization.
- An API is planned to slowly roll out once the Sonemic project is complete